A month of activity in and around the Stove, inviting artists from Dumfries and Galloway and beyond to join the discussion about the current and changing roles of art in public.
The programme forms part of Conversing Building, the Stove’s on-going project that looks to interact with the building and it’s wider themes and programmes playfully, inviting those in and around the Stove building to participate.
Our month of Art in Public included:
- An exhibition featuring seven artists, architects and designers, working across different approaches to making art for public spaces.
- The Conversation Booth; an intimate setting in a public space for one to one conversations with an artist.
- Discussion Evening – featuring inspirational projects in the town working to create ambitious new approaches to working in public.
- A Guided Walking Tour of Dumfries Closes led by local historic group Mostly Ghostly.
- The launch of Midsteeple Quarter’s new Outdoor Gallery project, with first paintings by street artist Richie Cumming.
- Film Screening and post-film discussion of New Town Utopia.
Art in Public [Space] formed part of A Year of Conversation 2019, a national project celebrating, initiating and exploring conversation in our lives.
You can download a copy of our map of Permanent Public Artworks in Dumfries here.
- You can listen to segments of the conversations recorded for the exhibition online: